We're starting the new year with hope and positivity. Do join us for a series of short workshops focusing on the food, music and dance that surrounds Sankranti, and a special showcase of stunning Telugu weaves from Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- When: Jan 8, 9, 10. 4 PM to 7 PM
- Where: Six Yards Plus Saree Adda, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad.
- How: Registration: Rs. 300 per person, per session. Link Below.
The harvest festival is celebrated with great joy and energy in all parts of India. As we mark the end of the winter solstice and prepare to welcome the spring and summer, there is positivity in the air and expectation in our hearts. One of the truly cultural festivals of the country, Sankranti has always been a favourite because it celebrates nature and the bounty that the hardworking hands of farmers have blessed us with.
At Six Yards Plus, we are celebrating this year with a three day long showcase of exquisite weaves from the Telugu states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh- from humble, everyday sarees like the Narayanpet and Bobbili to the exquisite craftsmanship of Ikkat and Kalamkari.
And we bring to you events that celebrate the festive mood every day.
Jan 8- Vantakaalu
A festive food showcase from different states of India.
Nothing brings us together the way food does, and festivals are synonymous with traditional foods prepared with love and care. Join us on this culinary journey as we bring you recipes from different states of India, shared with you by seasoned home cooks. Listen to the story behind the recipes, and the reasons for making special dishes for Sankranti, based on different cultural beliefs. What can be better? Get a taste of these home made goodies as you absorb the festive ambience!
Jan 9- Cine Geetalu
A Telugu film song appreciation session by Aparna Ganti
Movie songs are the unmistakable background music to the daily life of many of us. While the music transports us to a different world, the lyrics make that world real for us. There are so many musical gems from the Telugu film industry that many of us may be familiar with, but equally, a whole generation of movie goers may not have been exposed to them. Join us on this musical journey where Aparna, a literature and music enthusiast discusses some of these beautiful songs from a couple of decades ago, along with their context, lyrical highlights and most importantly, the emotions they evoke in us. It's simply NOT to be missed!
Jan 10- NrityaGaanam
An evening of Kuchipudi and Carnatic Music
One of the most beautiful things about Sankranti in a Telugu household is the Bommala Koluvu- the doll display, and the cultural programmes surrounding it. Join us at Six Yards Plus to soak in the festive atmosphere- along with wonderful performances of dance and music by young, upcoming artists form Hyderabad. Krishna Manasa, 12 Years, will be performing Kuchipudi and the Sister Act duo of Veda, 14 and Sloka, 11, will be performing Carnatic Classical Music. What better way than this to draw the curtain on this three day event?
- The timing will be 4 PM to 7 PM on all three days. The cultural programme will be scheduled from 5 PM to 6 PM every day.
- Due to COVID restrictions, we can accept only 15 persons per session
- Participation will be on a first come first serve basis
- Pre-registration is compulsory. We cannot allow walk ins in view of the current situation. If more than one person is attending, kindly fill up one form per person.
- There will be a small registration fee of Rs. 300 per session. Payment can be made through Google Pay or Paytm to 9949077784 in advance to confirm registration. Cash payments not accepted.
- We will be providing sanitiser at the venue, and will be doing a temperature check prior to entry. We will also have masks available for purchase- NO MASK, NO ENTRY.
- After you complete registration, our team will be in touch with you to confirm participation.
- We are sure you will enjoy the events. Do bear with us as we try to put together our first physical event in these strange times!